Friday, February 5, 2010

Halloween Cake #1

If you haven't noticed already, I tend to get ahead of myself (for example trying to decorate a cake with basically no knowledge or skill on how to do so). Well, I did it again, but this time with fairly decent results. I tried working with fondant without any know-how.

I found a recipe for marshmallow fondant (I'll post it later) and just went at it. It was pretty cheap and easy to make--and really fun to work with. It turned out more tidy-looking then just the buttercream frosting. Plus I didn't have to spend the time and energy trying to get the buttercream to look as perfect as possible. I just rolled the fondant out and plopped it on the cake. And then I smoothed and cut off the excess, of course.

A few days before assembling the cake I made some cute skull and bones with color flow icing. So easy. And super easy to put together. I'm also fond of my lettering on the cake. I really like this cake. It was chocolate with strawberry cream filling. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment