Thursday, February 4, 2010

Course II

Course II was so much fun! I didn't plan on taking it but then I found out it was half off at Michaels and I'm very glad I took it. We mainly worked with royal icing. It's basically sugar and water (I'll post the recipe later) but it's pretty much inedible because it's rock hard when dry. But you can make flowers that can hold their own without falling apart. My new favorite flower to make is the daisy--they're super cute and super easy--though I haven't quite perfected them yet. The good and bad thing about royal icing flowers is that you have/get to make them a few days in advance.

We also learned color flow, which is basically the same recipe as royal icing despite the fact Wilton has a separate recipe using color flow mix (c'mon Wilton, we all know you're just trying to make more $!) but I just add more water and the recipe works perfectly fine. Color flow is awesome because you can do just about anything with it-including 3-D items, like butterflies.

Last but not least, we learned the rope border and the basket weave technique. They are both not hard. Basket weave looks complicated and difficult, but its really fairly easy once you get the hang of it. Not bad at all. Plus it looks way cool.

Anyway, here's my finale cake. My best work I think.






No comments:

Post a Comment