Here's a cake recipe if you want to make a cute cake but just don't feel like taking out all your cake stuff and spending all that time decorating. I found it in a Better Homes and Garden magazine. It tastes wonderful! You'll need a cake leveler. They're not scary...I promise. They take pretty much no skill to use and cost under $5. What is good and bad about this recipe is that the cake absorbs the frosting like a sponge in over just a few hours. So the cake will look shrunken but it will be extra moist. Yum!
Chocolate Cherry Cake Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powde r
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Recipe Cherry Frosting, recipe below
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 6x2-inch round cake pans. Mix 1 teaspoon each flour and cocoa powder; dust pans. Set pans aside.
2. In bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
3. In large bowl with electric mixer beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sour cream and flour mixture. Pour batter in pans; spread evenly.
4. Bake 22 to 26 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on rack.
5. Use a cake leveler to horizontally cut cakes in half to make 4 layers total. Place bottom layer on plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat with layers. Place top layer on cake. Heap remaining frosting, swirling in peaks. Refrigerate. To serve, top with Chocolate-Dipped Cherries. Serves 8.
In large mixing bowl combine one 8-ounce carton sour cream. 1 cup whipping cream (do not use ultra-pasteurized whipping cream), 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice. Beat with chilled beaters on medium-high until fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.