Sunday, June 27, 2010

Piano Recital Cake

This next cake was a blast to make! I made it for the piano recital I had on Sat. for me and my students and a friend and her students.
Anyway, I wanted to try making a wire cake topper for this cake and so I did. I think it turned out pretty well, though I'm still working out the details for how to make one sit on top of the cake with out tilting over. I'm sure it has to do with balance or something, but whatever the case, I really had to jam it in the cake to keep it from falling off.
Wire cake toppers are super easy to make (okay, I'll admit: I do work fairly often with metal when I make jewelry). So I already had the materials but I did buy the red star wire for only a dollar.
The rest of the cake was fairly easy to make. I used the technique I posted previously to get a deep black. Mostly just cutting and pasting.






4 comments:

  1. That cake is absolutely adorable! You're getting really good! :) I can't think of good stuff up on my own. I have to google cakes and then TRY to copy them. It never works out. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are looking amazing!!! I love them all and I bet they were a lot of fun (and work) to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! Cakes are fun work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your cakes look so good. I remember before you left Utah you said you wanted to take some cake decorating classes. You have really done well. I only took that one class and haven't done too much more. I'm really into making cupcakes. I think they're a lot easier for me.

    ReplyDelete