Saturday, May 29, 2010

Monogram Cake

As promised, here is my latest cake! It's okay. Nothing too amazing but hey, it was just for practice. I didn't get to do everything I wanted to do (like string work) but I did get to try a new technique, called scroll work. Scroll work is drawing intricate designs on the cake with royal icing. I used tip 2, but I wonder if it would have looked better if I used tip 1. I couldn't think of anything creative for the center so I just did a monogram of my last name. I'm not too sure that it works. Oh well.
I also for the first time tried using what's called "moistening syrup." It is meant to add moistness as well as extra flavor. You can used liqueur, extract, or juice. I used apricot juice (I have a TON of them!). I just brushed the syrup on two layers with a pastry brush the before frosting them. I guess my syrup was too thick (it was as if I put jam on) plus apricots tend to have a mild flavor so I couldn't taste much of a difference. I want to try strawberry syrup next time! And I'll be sure it is more runny than the syrup I put on this cake was!











Yum! French Vanilla cake with apricot icing and moistening syrup.

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job and that looks so yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that looks so good! Do you make your cakes from scratch or use a cake mix? I'm still using cake mixes, but I want some good recipes for different flavors. White and lemon are getting a little boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kirsten--I just use a box. They taste just as good to me and I don't think most people can tell the difference anyway. Also, it takes too long and I'm lazy.
    I posted a few from-scratch cake recipes on this blog; they're really yummy!

    ReplyDelete