Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Freezing Fondant

Sorry for the no posts! I have been busy with the holidays. Plus I've been gorging myself of yummy treats that always seem to show up around this time of year, and cake just doesn't sound as yummy as it normally does!

I have a new cake to post, I promise. I am waiting for the pictures to be sent to me and then I will post them! In the meantime, I thought I would share a little tip with you.

I hate being wasteful, especially when it is expensive/time consuming to make, like fondant. So I used to put the extra fondant in little plastic baggies and stick them in a plastic grocery bag and store the extra fondant with the rest of my cake decorating supplies. However, when I would bring out the stored fondant a few weeks later for my next cake, it would all be as hard as a rock and I would have to throw them away.

Well I've gotten a bit smarter now and so I simply wrap the extra fondant in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, mark what color it is with a permanent marker, and just throw it in the freezer. So easy! And when I want to use it again, I simply take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for at least a few hours. When it is thawed it is perfectly soft and easy to work with. No more dried out fondant!

The only down side to this way is that you have to take out the fondant well before you start decorating so it can gradually thaw. I don't really know what happens if you just take it straight out of the freezer and start working with it but I heard it messes up the moisture ratio or something.

I have both red and black fondant in my freezer right now, and let me tell you with those colors being the hardest to make, freezing them saves me a TON of time! I highly recommend freezing your extra fondant, even if it is just a little bit and especially if they are hard colors to make.

Hope that helps!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I've had to throw away fondant as well, and I always hate seeing all that money going in the trash (I usually buy fondant). I'll have to try freezing it next time!

    ReplyDelete